Friday, December 22, 2006


I don't know a thing about holly. Even though my Master Gardener certificate came today, we didn't learn about holly(llex). And so, I'm wondering why my holly has dried up. I took it out of the vase of water and put it outside in my pine wreath.

But, let me back up. I decided that I wouldn't buy ropes of Christmas greens and such, but thought I would buy some holly since I had never had it before. I went to a flower shop and bought a nice bunch, variegated with lots of bright red berries. I put it in a vase of water with a branch of spruce.

After a few days, I noticed that the holly was turning brown and the leaves were falling off. I don't know what I did wrong unless it was that I put it in water. Maybe I just bought an inferior bunch of holly. At any rate, I probably won't buy it again.

I found a nice fake pine garland at Goodwill for $1.99. It looks great and it won't dry up. I solved the greens problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't they revoke Master Gardener credentials for anyone caught using fake garland? :) Somewhere, Grandma P. (who had fake posies of every hue) is smiling down on you.