Thursday, January 04, 2007



I'm wild about orchids. I recently went to a lecture about wild orchids of Michigan. In my search for orchids on our property, I know I can identify three: purple fringe, , yellow lady slipper, and pink lady slippers. I don't know a great deal about each orchid, but they were a surprise to find since I never knew, as a child on this farm, that they existed. They seem so rare and exotic in the wild.

At the moment, I have only two house orchid plants: a miniature dendrobrium and a pink orchid ( I lost the tag) the kind one would wear for a corsage. They are thriving considering the dryness and sporatic neglect.


I got my first orchids at a yard sale. Yes, my neighbors grew wonderful orchids. Since the first ones, I have done a good job of killing them off especially when I try to transplant them. Now, I just sink the whole pot into orchid potting chips. That way, I don't disturb the roots. I have beautiful fragrant flowers when, at last, they bloom. I can appreciate the lure of the orchid in Victorian times. And, I can't wait until spring so I can begin my own search of the orchids on Wyndehill Farm.

No comments: