Saturday, April 04, 2009


#22 Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy. Boy, I would pick a long book which puts me farther behind in my goal to read 100 books this year. But, it was well worth the effort. Binchy is quite the storyteller with each person somehow becoming an important part of the story. The story takes place in Dublin at a new Heart clinic. The new clinic director, her daughters, her ex-husband, and her boss, the new doctor and all of his relatives, the secretary, the nurses, the dietitian and exercise instructor, and of course, all of the heart patients and their relatives and friends. Whew, add romance, add misfortune, add Father Brian and his stalker, and add a happy ending. Also, add humor and the daily struggles of ordinary people, and there's the story. Each life touches another's life.
And, yes, the song "Heart and Soul" could apply to this story.

1 comment:

amanda said...

I haven't read this one, but I used to really love Maeve Binchy... but now I find her stuff incredibly formulaic. I like that you don't get the whole story until the very end, but I read in Circle of Friends, in Tara Road, in Scarlet Feather, in Evening Class, in Nights of Rain and Stars... try something new, Maeve!