Sunday, July 23, 2006


I'm tooling down the road past my house, sun beating down, wind in my hair, waving to the folks out getting their mail. No, not in my Subaru, in a bright yellow VW Bug convertible. I know it would be just the car for me.

Go crazy. Live a little. Convertibles are so much fun. Once Frannie and I conned a friend into letting us take his little black Miata for the day. We got up early, got the top down, wrapped our neck with a scarf (Pia Isadora style) and cruised to a nearby town, stalling once or twice but were confident as the day progressed. On our return home, we cruised down Front Street to see if we could be noticed by anyone we knew. We went down the strip once more since we had no one to show off to. I mean, come one, half the fun is showing off to anyone who might notice. That was the day we changed our names to use on special occasions. We were rich girls driving our little sports car, nose in the air, cool sunglasses ( a must when one is being cool), and scarf blowing in the wind hoping to avoid being choked to death by the scarf wrapping around a tire. A fantasy played out. It was glorious!

So, I've been talking about sports cars for days. Pointing out neat cars everywhere we have gone. Oh, is that a Spitfire, an MG Midget, a Corvette? (like I know anything about cars). Oh, but did I mention that we have a sports car. We have a Jeep with a soft top and windows that can come out. It's Big Fred's work car. Anyway, Big Fred took out the windows and folded the top down and I had my convertible.

Let me tell you, I loved it. Sun beating down on my head, wind blowing in my hair, and lots of blue sky, white puffy clouds, and smells. The blue was intense. The clouds had flat bottoms and were close overhead. They were combining wheat and that has a warm musty straw smell that anyone from farm country would recognize right off. We say seven Sandhill cranes standing in the field. Of course, when we came to town, there was car exhaust, loud gear shifting from the big trucks loaded with cherries sloshing in their water containers. And, when it got cold, we put the heater on and warmed our legs.

All in all, it was a great day for enjoying the open air. I still would like a VW bug, but don't have to wait if Big Fred takes to using his sports car.

No comments: