Friday, July 21, 2006


Number 3 on the list of summer reading. The Education of Little Tree is the rememberance of a Cherokee boy's childhood. Little Tree is raised by his grandparents and learns the Cherokee "way" including a trade: whiskey making. The story takes place in the 1930's and is claimed to be a true story of Forrest Carter's (the author) life.

I love this sweet story of the granpa and granma's teachings. Little Tree knows his place in the world. He is part of the trees, river, animals, and the mountain. It made me feel warm and happy. I can relate because I also am drawn to the land that I make my home on. I have history here; my history includes the trees, creeks, animals and hills that surround me and the teachings of my parents, grandparents, and neighbors.

It is a well documented that Native American children were "rescued" and placed in schools and orphanages. Little Tree learns first hand about politicians and religion when he is placed in a church run orphanage. Of course, Little Tree is a bastard and is beyond the realm of God. I guess I needed a good cry because that's what I did through the last few chapters.

I have always wondered about how our society places so little value on children. (Hard to articulate). I think that is part of the reason why I was so sad. Need a good cry?

No comments: