Tuesday, September 26, 2006


While reading the latest edition of Smithsonian, I came across the fascinating article titled "Fabric of Their Lives". This article is about the new exhibit of quilts made by ladies of Gee's Bend, Alabama. The quilt show opened at the Museum of fine Arts in Houston. Such fabulous quilts, truly works of art. Art critic Mark Stevens of the New York magazine said that they "just might deserve a place among the great works of twentieth-century abstract art. The article is about the quilts and the lives of the women who made them. Very inspiring.

I am part of q quilting family, so I know the work and pride that goes into the finished product. My mom has made me many quilts that I use, not store. She made quilts for each of her grandchildren, wedding presents, for charity, and for her own use. Her quilts are what we call "tied off" rather than quilted. They are made to be used. I have also made quilts although I wouldn't say mine are a work of art or anywhere near it. My grandmother and aunts all are great quilters too.

I am just in awe of the way the ladies of Alabama have made their quilts. And I'm pleased that they have been recognized for their talent. Check out the article, and if you are anywhere near this exhibit, go .

1 comment:

amanda said...

Did you know that the Gee's Bend quilts are available as STAMPS? Not rubber stamps, but stamps for sending mail. Go get some! That's what we're using right now!