Tuesday, May 08, 2007


Garden and weather log: Monday was cool in the morning and then it warmed up to the 70s by late afternoon. Of course, my garden work time was in the morning and I went to town to visit my mom by afternoon. I cleaned most of the south garden next to the house. The iris are starting to flower. The variegated phlox are really healthy, and the rabbit ravaged rosebush is putting out shoots. I'm excited to see how the allium comes out. Allium is one of my favorite all time spring flowers. By the weekend, I'm sure it will have warmed up and the garden shops will have flats of petunias and marigolds in. I want to get the flowers for my window boxes.
Another sure sign of spring: we saw the first oriole. And of course, the cement block fell through the ice on Joe's Pond in Vermont on May 1. They have the block attached to a cord and a clock to know the exact time. The annual contest is a big deal event that signals the end of winter. For more details of weather trivia:http://www.scenesofvermont.com/joespond.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should have known last night when I had a screaming headache- it rained like an MF down here today.