Monday, July 10, 2006


Friends. I knew there was a reason I loved reading Country of the Pointed Fir. In chapter 12, Mrs. Fosdick comes to visit Mrs. Todd. Mrs. Fosdick has been making her rounds from house to house on Dunnet Island. The two have caught up on all the latest news. Mrs Fosdick says to Mrs. Todd that it is pleasant to talk with an old acquaintance that knows what you know. She says, "Conversation's got to have some root in the past, or else you've got to explain every remark you make, an' it wears a person out." Mrs. Todd agrees that old friends are always best. I spent the day with four of my dearest old friends. We have history. We don't have to explain anything. What one forgets, the others fill in. Mrs. Todd also advises that you can catch a new one (friend) that's fit to make an old one out of. Welcome, Amanda.

1 comment:

amanda said...

I was there for the five old friends sitting around drinking mimosas, and it was great - my favorite part was when Mary said "Is that where that lady used to live?" and the other four ladies all said "No." Because they'd been friends for so long that they all knew who "that lady" was.