Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Ginger Tree , by Oswald Wynd is book number two in my read-every-summer series. I was surprised at how much I had forgotten.

The story takes place in China and Japan from 1903-1942. The book is in journal and letter form written by a Scotswoman, Mary MacKenzie, telling about living in the Far East. In the beginning, she is on her way to Peking to marry Richard, who is a military attache. She carries a frugal trousseau and naive ideas about marital bliss. Once married, she sees little of her husband and is abandoned by the European community when she has an affair with a Japanese nobleman. Her daughter, Jane, is taken from her and is sent to England to be raised by Richard's mother. Mary is taken to Japan under the direction of Kentaro ( her lover) who takes her as his mistress. So, her life involves surviving as a Westerner, and a woman in cultures that have little tolerance for women. Her story describes life during two world wars and the Tokyo earthquake of 1923.

Since I have visited Japan, I look for descriptions of places I have been. And, I'm always interested in other cultures and the woman's role there. This is an easy read and has some unpredicted turns of events that I haven't included. On to the next book!

No comments: