Saturday, October 14, 2006


My recipe box is a joyful possession. It holds memories of some very special people.

Here's a favorite from my mom's best friend- Ruth's Molasses Cookies. I use to make this recipe of soft cookies for my 104 year old grandpa.

Next, NB's recipe for One Egg Omelet. It was his own recipe that he could cook anytime when he was first learning to cook. It is complete with illustrations. No wonder he turned out to be a great cook.

And here's a whole sloo of recipes, nicely typed, that I got as a Christmas present from my friend and co-world traveling partner, Rebecca. Her recipes include Popeye's Special ( early vegetarian), Mule biscuits, and Biscochitos (5 doz.). I've lost track of her, but not all of our adventures together.

Ah, my ex-sister-in-law, she was the first to give me recipes for entertaining. It is for Cheese Balls.

Oh, yes, BBowden's recipe for Beer Batter and MARiver's Orange Humus. There's Aunt Ann's Angel Delight, how appropriate, she collected angels. Of course, I went through a whole period of collecting zucchini recipes. I ended up with a whole cookbook of zucchini recipes.

There's, my sister, Joyce's Lasagna. And then, there's my version of Spinach Lasagna I took from the Richard Simmon's show.

I saved the best for last, G'ma Koberg's Waffle recipe written out neatly in Big Fred's mom's handwriting. We have had waffles using this recipe many times and it has become a family tradition.

So, those are the highlights of my recipe box. I love the ones written out. I wish I had some from my own Grandma, but she usually told me the recipe which included directions like- a pinch of this or that. I guess all memories don't have to be written down, but I sure cherish the ones I have in my recipe box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda has a recipe scrapbook that Natalie gave her with a few recipes written out on pictures culled from magazines. Too bad she almost never cooks anything...