Friday, January 12, 2007


Light in August (1932) by William Faulkner is my latest reading material. I thought I had better read some of the classics. No wonder it is called a classic! Faulkner wrote most of his works while in his 30's. This one has racial issues, bootlegging, the poor, life in the South-definitely a portrait of the times.

I don't recall reading other works by Faulkner. Perhaps I read something in high school or during my college career, but I can't remember.

At any rate, this book has definitely developed characters and a plot that twists and turns with some real surprises. I had trouble putting it down. The hardest part is the long repeating sentences and the southern voice. It is a very troubling book with characters that would fit right in with today's bizarre world. As one blip said, the book explores the nature of evil. This will be considered my "heavyduty" reading for the month.

No comments: