Tuesday, March 06, 2007


Teeth grinding. Even though I vowed not to post about medical problems, like who gives a *** ***, I'm going to anyway. I am really wondering about getting an apparatus to stop the grinding. Now, being in the job I was in, I clenched my teeth daily and at night. At this point, the surfaces are worn flat, no little bumps on the teeth.

It was suggested that I buy five athletic mouth guards from the locate Rite Aide and try fitting my mouth. Probably after a few tries, I would get a reasonable fit and I could wear the thing at night. And for $5, what a deal.

It was also suggested to get on the Internet and buy a kit that has the cement, make the form, and send it in for about $80 to have a professional company make the guard. I have noticed lots of advertising, but who would know the professional.

Each of these options are reasonably prices and painless. I guess I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this. Or do I have to break down and go to my dentist and pay big bucks?

5 comments:

amanda said...

I tried an athletic mouthguard once when I was having a bad spell of nighttime grinding, but it made me slobbery and I didn't like it.

Anonymous said...

I'm going through the same thing right now. Athletic guards are too thick and make me gag and slobber- no way I could sleep. I saw a grinding guard at Meijer in the dental section for $20...

Frannie Farmer said...

Sorry, no help here. But, please do let us know!!

Senora Fuerte said...

I'm not a dentist, but I work for one... and he's my dad. The reason athletic guards don't work is because they are made to keep the teeth safe from a blow, but they don't address the way the teeth fit together top to bottom, which is a major factor in grinding and clenching. The "send in your own impressions" kit sounds fishy because there are right and wrong ways to do impressions, and if the guard is based on bad impressions, it's not going to work anyway.

My (unscientific) recommendation is to see your dentist. The right apparatus is going to save your teeth, your sanity, and may save you money in failed attempts. We charge $400 here, but dental prices vary a lot by geography, and everything is expensive here. Many insurance plans do cover occlusal guards now, though not all, and often not the entire price.

Still, I think it will be worth it. My dad, who is also my dentist and my boss, wears one every night, so his opinion is based on training and experience.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know.

Good luck with it all.

Senora Fuerte said...

Oh yeah, and if you get one, don't let Mudge anywhere near it! Dogs love chewing night guards more than they love anything that ever came from a petstore.