Thursday, August 03, 2006


Because I love to eat, and I love to peruse the menu, and I love to go about town to try new things, I should have a column called Aunt B Eats. So here goes.

Yesterday, I went to the Patisserie Amie to get a sweettooth treat. I really wanted a large slice of sweet, but because it was extremely hot and the dog was waiting from getting his haircut, I could not be as leisurely as I had wished.

Patissiere Amie is a tiny shop on Front St. with a table for two outside the door, and pink and white hollyhocks growing along a rail fence at the side. It's a charming bistro with a red and white striped canopy and a window displaying bread and colorful boxes waiting to be filled. It has a perfect location backed by the river and the river backed by the bay.

Inside, one is immediately drawn to the showcase filled with delectable sweets. Pear almond tarts, bombes, meringues, and dark delicacies of chocolate beckoned. For $3.25, I chose a plum tart. It had a light pastry crust, filled with thinly sliced plums and topped with just a decorative sprinkle of powdered sugar. Not too sweet, just the plum flavor and the buttery crust. The maybe ten delicate bits of treat only made me want more.

The shop is cozy with posters, sports a large blackboard menu, and seats about a dozen. There is a long list of coffee drinks and teas. Fresh bread is baked daily and the soup of the day was vichyssoise with leeks. They have a featured omelette and daily crepes with caviar.

After looking at the coffee menu and the pastry selection, I decided that I will have to try each dessert inorder to make a fair judgement on their quality. I'll have to remember to get their early since they close at 3:00 on the weekends. Next time, big cup of French pressed coffee and a bombe. or a madeline, or something chocolate....... Bon Apetit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remeber that bakery in Howell where we used to get those flakey turn-overs with blueberry and raspberry filling? The ones with the crystals of sugar on top... I recall bitter dark-ass Dutch licorice pipes too. Yum.

queenb2u said...

Yup! We were so ger met when you were a kid. Do you still have that saffron? Probably long gone.

amanda said...

Did you bring anything home for me?