Friday, August 04, 2006


I forgot that I have a Moon Garden. Moon gardens are specialty gardens designed around white, silver-leafed or variegated plants. It is delightful to view at dusk or in the dark, since the moon reflects off the white blossoms.

I'll let the white and the moon be my garden guide. I have planted white phlox in large patches up against the gray picket fence. They glow. The light is also picked up from the silver-gray fuzzy lamb's ears I have carefully placed along the front of the border. I follow the brick pathline past a massive planting of white shasta daises that surround my peace pole. I move on past the spikey silver foliage of a butterfly bush. Then back around the loop again. The beauty is not just the fairytale color, it is the sweet fragrances that many plants put out at night to attract pollinating insects. The bathwater warm air mingles with the light fragrance making me heady and somewhat sleepy. It is enchanting.

The white glow reminds me that I had made this special garden for the fall because many of the plants are dying back and my garden needed something to spice it up. The full moon is Aug. 9, but it is plenty big enough for me to view my Moon Garden. I'll take a stroll each night while it lasts. How could I forget?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello.
I am the publisist for a production of Dark of the Moon. We love your image of Moon Garden and we were wondering where you got the image from or if you have the copywrite info. If you could email me back it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
ab292@evansville.edu