Friday, December 29, 2006


Big Fred got some amaaaazing cheese for Christmas. AS(soon to be AB) gave this gift. Mongomery's Cheddar cheese. Now let me tell you my tastebud review: it is creamy with occasional crystal chunks, it has an distinctly aged flavor and at first I thought it might be Stilton, only a sliver is needed with a mild cracker for a cheesy taste. It definitely can stand alone. I haven't tried it on eggs, so won't report on that combination.

Now, saying all of this from an unknowing viewpoint, here is the partial word on Mongomery's Cheddar from : www.teddingtoncheese.co.uk
"The making of real farmhouse cheddar is now restricted to a hand full of farms, and the traditional unpasteurised cheese is only made on three farms. Ours is made by the Montgomerys' who have been making the cheese at Manor farm for generations. Their cheese-maker Harold was making the cheese at the farm for forty years, and in the later years with his son Michael. Harold has recently retired, but fortunately his son Michael has continued with the help of a new cheese-maker called Stephen.

Montomerys' cheddar can be matured for 18 months to produce a full nutty flavour and a dry texture. However, at the Teddington Cheese we prefer to mature the cheese for 12 to 14 months where the full nutty flavour is accompanied by a slightly moister texture. On stripping away the cheese-cloth and cutting open the cheese the most amazing aroma fills the room and the first taste of each and every cheese is one of the highlights of being a cheese-monger. Cheddar is a very versatile cheese, which can be cooked, grated or eaten on its own. However the quality of Montgomery's cheddar ensures that it makes a statement when added to the cheeseboard, and is sure to impress those who have eaten nothing but block cheddar before."

What I do know (though I forgot) is that I tasted this cheese at my Epicurean Classic class this past fall. It was paired with Burton Bridge Brewery Empire India Pale Ale. I really liked both.

So, there you go. Another great gift. Thank you, AS.

3 comments:

Frannie Farmer said...

Oh heavens .. seriously, can I join your family? I could just be an honorary member. That would work for me.
I love, love, love cheese.
Did I mention that I love cheese?
Well, I do. And that cheese sounds Delish!

Anonymous said...

The cheese should be available at www.zingermans.com

Frannie Farmer said...

thanks Nate!