Thursday, August 31, 2006


44 Scotland Street, by Alexander McCall Smith, is a fun read. The story is based on the colorful characters who live in a townhouse in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is about , Bertie, a 5 year old, who is his mother's "project", Pat, a twenty year old, who is trying to find her place and works at an art gallery, Domenica, their 6oish eccentric widow neighbor, and Bruce (Pat's flatmate) who mostly thinks about himself.

The story deals with friendship, intrigue, vanity, loneliness, and ordinary events in lives that intertwine. Smith gives a good picture of Edinburgh society and human nature.

This story was first published, chapter by chapter, in "The Scotsman" newspaper. The serial writing helps the book move along quickly. In fact, I found it helpful because I had chores to do, so I could easily keep up with the characters even with that " stop and start" type of reading.

I'm now reading Expresso Tales which is the next book in this series. Not too heavy, funny, the same characters, and a clever twist here and there. I got a really big kick out of Smith's No1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I'm enjoying this series, but I don't think it matches up to Ladies Detective Agency especially when it comes to humor. Still, it is a fun read.

1 comment:

amanda said...

B, if you like serial reading, I'll loan you the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin.