Monday, August 28, 2006


I know you shouldn't get attached to things, but I love my house. So, here are 10+ things you need to know about my abode so maybe you'll understand my attachment.
1. The kitchen part of my house is hand-hewn cedar logs that are over 150 years old. (Photo is similar to the original 18x20 cabin).
2. My house has gone through numerous changes. Three generations of my family have lived in the log structure. My grandparents lived in it when they were first married. My dad tore the cabin down, moved it to the present site, and reassembled it. Many families lived in it after my parents moved to the big house next door. It stood empty for a number of years before we moved in.
2.5 The log part was completely gutted - renovation included a cement floor in the basement, stairs leading to the basement, a completely new wall and floor structure, a loft over the kitchen, and a new roof system. It's the kitchen and dining area.
3. The living room floor is southern yellow pine and the boards sat in the living room drying for about 2 years. The kitchen has cherry floors, but we couldn't afford that wood when we did the living room.
3.5. BF was not a carpenter when he added our living room and bedroom above.
4. At one time, we had two stairs going to the second floor: one in the kitchen and one in the living room. Before that we had a ladder that went straight up the wall into the bedroom upstairs.
5. My bathroom is glorious. The new room (the old one is another complete story) went through stages called the blue tarp wall, foil walls, and the pink stage (insulation). The two man sit tub went in first. Even though I thought it was extravagant, soaking in it is divine.
6. We recently put tile in the entry and only weeks ago put knobs and handles on the kitchen cupboards.
7. We burned wood for a long time and had two woodstoves. Big Fred wanted to put a cookstove in the kitchen which I agreed to if he could find a turquoise stove. Thankfully, he never found one. My first kitchen stove was my grandma's old electric stove. We still have a woodstove in the living room incase of bad winter weather.
8. I used an ironing board for a kitchen counter for 11 years. When I designed the kitchen, the counter is where I use to stand when I had the ironing board.
9. Big Fred built a large bay window onto our living room which we called the Christmas tree room. Since we didn't have flooring we nailed the tree stand to the floor. It is now where our desk and computer sits with a great view of the garden, the birdfeeder, and the fields beyond.
10. My house will never be finished. The upstairs is painted, but needs carpet. BF has put floor to ceiling bookshelves in the guest room (NB's old room) and has built doors for the closet. So, the upstairs needs much, much work.
11. That's only the beginning.

Big Fred is a carpenter. He works on fancy/sometimes million dollar houses for a living and just doesn't want to do the same things all weekend. Besides, our house is old, out of square, and needs lots of everything, and most projects can't be finished over a weekend. On the positive side, it is very unique and comfortable. Anyone who comes here will say that our house is a "home sweet home". I lovingly agree.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Two of my fanciest friends have been to your house, and they absolutely love it. Who needs carpet - when do you ever entertain guests upstairs!?