Saturday, September 02, 2006


My fantasy job would be to travel with "Saveur" magazine. When I stopped at a yard sale today, I found a pile of free "Saveur" magazines. I had my 4:00 cup of coffee with cream beside me as I started to peruse the pages.

Ah yes, off to Providence, Rhode Island to experience the Italian-American neighborhood. I'd dine at the Old Canteen and start with the Shrimp Fra Diavolo (shrimp in spicy tomato sauce served over pasta) and end with Fancy Spumoni with Balsamic Syrup at Camille's. I'd learn to make potato gnocchies and bring home some sfogliatelle (crunchy shell-shaped pastries filled with sweetened ricotta) for Big Fred.

While heading East, I'd make a trip to France, to visit Chablis wine country. I'd sample wine from barrels in their wine cellars and taste their celebrated Raveneau Clos (Grand Cru) 1999 at $125 a bottle.

I'd jet back to the states and visit the Gioia Cheese Company in California and buy Vito Girardi's burrata. This is handmade mozzarella which is molded around curds and cream. It comes in 1 pound balls and is highly perishable, so we would have to make tomato sandwiches with it before e it went bad. If it is April, I could take in the Asparagus Festival in Stockton where folks eat more than 20,000 pounds of tender asparagus spears over three days. Wheeeew!

While in the festival mood, I could attend the National Corn Bread Festival in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee. I'd bring home a cast-iron skillet for NB, because this is the home of the leading American manufacturer of cast-iron skillets.

I'd be the Alton Brown (Food Network) of GT County. I'd have to learn all of those types of pastas-angel hair, bowtie, macaroni, twisties. I'd learn to sniff and swish wine. I'd eat pine nuts and pan fried sweet breads with chablis sauce. I'd...........I'd be fat!!!

And I've only read one magazine.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Damn you, now I'm really hungry.