Wednesday, August 30, 2006


Rise up, Moms. Rebel! I just finished reading the New York Times article titled "Back to School Fashion"http://shopping.aol.com/pages/Kids-Fashions/20209?ncid=AOLCOMMshopDYNLprim0001. It was informative and extremely sad. I usually don't rant ( I leave that to mamak), but the whole idea of fashion world marketing focus on under 9 year olds, is truly appalling.

We, women and men, have worked so hard to raise the status of women and children around the world. We had the Women's Rights Movement to bring equality in pay and opportunity in the workplace. It brought attention to issues such as sexual harrassment and sexual violence. We have Title 9, in schools, to give equal opportunity to girls in sports. We have women astronauts, women ambassadors, women in high government positions, women fighting in wars (God help them), and rising hopes for a female U.S. President. We got rid of smoking ads and billboards. All of this to help raise the self-esteem of girls to fight drug and alcohol addiction, to fight anorexia and bulimia, to fight wife and child abuse, to raise the health and worth of our children. And now, according to this article, girls need fashion and glam to "be". It says,"Kids from the very beginning are learning that your self worth depends on what you have and how the market evaluates you."

The article also mentions that fashion for the under 9 year old is not sexy but is provocative. So what is that suppose to mean.?!! Do you want your third grader looking provocative? Now, I'm not against cute clothes on children, fun nail polish and such, but I thought children (and adults) were to dress appropriately for the situation. Belly shirts use to mean that the little kid was growing out of their clothes and I loved My Little Kitty because it was so sweet. I thought when you let your child dress themselves and they came out in plaids and strips, you had them chose again. That was helping them become independent. Boy, am I naive!

The idea of little girls being a fashion replica of mommy is a step backward. We have battled the idea that children are just a small sized grown-up with grown-up expectations. Children have worked in the factories and fields for centuries- conceived for this purpose. Our society continues to devalue children and exploit them.

Even a Project Runway Barbie! I'm not saying that the adults have to stop watching this show. I'm not saying we have to stop liking attractive clothes. I'm saying, balance. Moms, do you want your little child to appear "provocative"? Am I just being an "old frump"? I'll see the "haves" and "have nots" when I go to school next week. :C

1 comment:

amanda said...

I'm with you, both of you, although my first instinct was to jump up on my "defending Project Runway" soapbox!
I had a girl in one of my classes this summer with a nose ring. She was 15. To me, that's the icing on the cake of everything MamaK said. If your little girl wants some nail polish for a special occasion, go for it. Acrylics at 10? Not OK.